Anne McClorey McLaughlin
(PDF of Bio)
Anne McClorey McLaughlin concentrates her practice in municipal law and local government liability defense. She has developed expertise in defense and trial of claims of violation of civil and constitutional rights, police misconduct, use of lethal and non-lethal force, discrimination, actions under the Freedom of Information and Open Meetings Acts, and a variety of other issues in governmental and elected official liability.
As an assistant city and township attorney and former municipal prosecutor, Ms. McLaughlin has litigated numerous issues of municipal liability and ordinance law, while serving as advisor to police departments. She is skilled at drafting ordinances and policies, reviewing contracts and advising municipalities on an array of legal matters. Ms. McLaughlin has advised councils and boards on ordinance enforcement, land use and planning, construction projects, personal and real property tax and regulatory issues, special assessments, election law, relationships with other governmental agencies, water and sewer issues, legislative amendments and updates, and many other aspects of municipal operations.
Ms. McLaughlin also has an extensive background in advising various insurance carriers in the intricacies of the Michigan No-Fault Act and defending first-party claims for benefits and third-party actions for personal injury damages. She has advised insurance professionals and defended litigation in general insurance principles, policy interpretation and representation of policy insureds.
Professional Activities / Memberships
- State Bar of Michigan, Public Corporation and Litigation Sections
- Admitted to United States District Court, Eastern and Western Districts of Michigan
- Admitted to United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, Cincinnati, OH
- Case Evaluation Panelist, Mediation Tribunal Association (serving the Wayne County Circuit Court and U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan)
- Featured speaker at MMRMA's training workshop, "Sewer Back Ups: A Practical Guide to Public Act 222."
- Author, "Michigan Tests Limits of Marijuana for Medical Use," The Risk Journal, Michigan Municipal Risk Management Authority, June 2010
- Author, "Michigan and Federal Electronic Discovery Rules," Public Risk Management Association-Michigan Chapter Newsletter, June 2009
- Presenter--May 2011, "Policing the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act," Sponsored by Leelanau County (MI) Planning Commission, Suttons Bay, MI
- Presenter--March 2011, "Policing Problems with the Michigan Medical Marijuana Act," Michigan Municipal Risk Management Authority Spring Workshop, Lansing, MI
- Presenter--January 2011, "Michigan Medical Marihuana Act: Cutting Through the Smoke," Independent Insurance Agents of Oakland County, Bloomfield Hills, MI
- Presenter--November 2010, "Michigan Medical Marihuana Act: Cutting Through the Smoke," Michigan Community College Risk Management Authority, Fall Quarterly Meeting, Dearborn, MI
- Presenter-October 2010, "Michigan Medical Marihuana Act: Cutting Through the Smoke," Insurance Association of Metropolitan Detroit, Farmington Hills, MI
- Presenter-September 2010, "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly," Michigan Municipal Risk Management Authority, Joint Law Enforcement Advisory Committee, Mt. Pleasant, MI
- Presenter-May 2010, "Michigan Medical Marihuana Act: Cutting Through the Smoke," CPCU Society-Greater Detroit Chapter/Risk and Insurance Management Society-Detroit Chapter, Farmington Hills, MI
- Panelist-April 2010, Open Carry of Firearms in Michigan, Michigan Association of Municipal Attorneys, Lansing, MI
- Presenter-April 2010, "Michigan Medical Marihuana Act: Cutting Through the Smoke," Michigan Municipal Risk Management Authority, Administrative Advisory Committee, Livonia, MI
- Presenter-March 2010, "Michigan Medical Marihuana Act: Cutting Through the Smoke," Public Risk Management Association-Michigan Chapter, Spring Educational Program, Lansing, MI
- Presenter-July 2009, Family Medical Leave Act Update, Public Risk Management Association-Michigan Chapter, Summer Conference, Crystal Mountain Resort, Thompsonville, MI
- Presenter-February 2009, "Public Act 222, Sewage Disposal Event Liability," Michigan Municipal Risk Management Authority, Livonia, MI
- Co-Instructor-September 2008, "Freedom of Information Act, Electronic Discovery and Document Retention," Law Enforcement Executive Leadership Institute, Mt. Pleasant, MI
- Co-Presenter-July 2007, "What the Court Said," Michigan Legal Update, Public Risk Management Association-Michigan Chapter, Cadillac, MI
- Presenter-- July 2011, "ADA, EEOC and How They Interact With Workers’ Comp," Michigan Legal Update, Public Risk Management Association-Michigan Chapter, Crystal Mountain Resort, Thompsonville, MI