Daniel A. Klemptner
(PDF of Bio)
Daniel A. Klemptner is an attorney in the Litigation Defense section of the firm. Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Klemptner worked as an Assistant City Attorney in the City of Flint Department of Law where he gained invaluable, first-hand experience defending police practices, constitutional rights, employment, automobile negligence, premises liability, municipal, and zoning/planning cases. While employed with the City of Flint, he also handled various internal compliance matters including all responses to requests made pursuant to the Freedom of Information Act, discrimination/harassment in the workplace complaints, and protecting his client's interests during the course of EEOC, MDCR, and USDOJ investigations. He presently serves as an instructor at the Flint Regional Police Academy.
Since joining the firm, Mr. Klemptner has successfully defended the interests of municipalities, governmental agencies, and private businesses in a wide variety of civil lawsuits involving employment matters, law enforcement liability, civil rights violations, and other liability issues.
Mr. Klemptner is currently an adjunct faculty member at the Oakland Community College's Fire Technology Institute, where he teaches the course "Legal Considerations in the Fire Service."
Farmington Hills Office
Phone: (248) 489-4100
Fax: (248) 489-1726
- Western Michigan University Cooley Law School, JD 2005
- University of Michigan, BA 2002
- 2013-2017 Designated Super Lawyer Rising Star by Thomson Reuters in the area of Employment and Labor
- 2015 Named by Crain's Detroit Business as a Top Attorney Rising Star in Michigan
- Featured speaker at the October, 2016 Meeting of the Oakland County Bar Association's Municipal Law Committee, presenting "Social Media for Municipalities"
- Co-Author of an article for the Michigan Public
Risk Management Association August 2016 newsletter, entitled: "The 'Sign' of
Change: The Impact of Reed v Town of Gilbert On Local Sign Regulations."
- Featured speaker at the October, 2015 Law Enforcement Advisory Committee Meeting of the Michigan Municipal Risk Management Authority, presenting "Our Ordinances Will Never Be the Same, How the Supreme Court's Decision in Reed v Town of Gilbert Will Affect Local Sign Regulation"
- Author of "Discovery
Violations Involving Electronically-Stored Information: The Current Trend of
Federal Court Cases Relevant to Municipalities", Public Corporation Law
Quarterly, Spring 2011
- Co-presenter at the 2014 Risk Management
Workshop regarding Policies and Agency Use of Social Media
- Presenter of “Technology Dos and Don’ts” at the
2013 Winter Meeting of the Michigan Municipal Risk Management Authority
- Featured Speaker at the 2013 Summer Meeting of
the Michigan Department of Natural Resources – Law Enforcement Division,
presenting "Legal Update Regarding the Law of Search and Arrest"
- Featured Speaker at the 2010, 2011, and 2013
Joint Committee Meetings of the Michigan Municipal Risk Management Authority,
presenting "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, in Litigation"
- Featured Speaker at the 2012 Year-End Meeting of
the Oakland County Fire Mutual Aid Association, presenting:
"How Recent Legislation Impacts an Employer’s Ability to Monitor Employees’
- Presented "Social Media in the Work-Space" at the
October, 2012 State of Michigan Telecommunications Directors & Supervisors
Annual Training Seminar
- Featured Speaker at the April 2012 Michigan
Municipal Risk Management Authority Training Workshop, presenting “Handling
Electronically-Stored Information – Understanding Your Technology, Digital
Discovery and Employee Use of Social Media in the Workplace”.
- Author of "Defending
Police Officers - From Chase to Arrest and After", Public Corporation Law
Quarterly, Spring 2009
- Case Law Updates – Planning & Zoning News;
Start Bar of Michigan Public Corporation Law Quarterly
- Former Police Recruit Instructor - Flint Regional Police Academy
Professional Activities / Memberships
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Michigan
- Genesee County Bar Association
- Oakland County Bar Association
Admitted to Practice
- All Courts in the State of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Eastern and Western Districts of Michigan
- United States Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals.